- Tips on Saving Money on a New Roof in Iowa City
- Tips for Preventing a Leaky Roof
- Replacing Your Shingle Roof in Iowa City: A Complete Guide
- 5 Things to Know When You Notice a Roof Leak
- Iowa City Roof Repair Guide
- Tips on Navigating a Roof Insurance Claim
- Types of Roofs in Iowa
- Things To Know About Gutters in Iowa City
- Wind Damage: How It Happens and How to Deal with It
- 4 Tips on Hiring a Roofing Contractor in Iowa City
- Four Signs You Need to Replace Your Roof
- Beware of Storm Chasers After Big Storms in Iowa City
- Ice Dam Prevention Guide — What You Need to Know
- Skylight Replacement Guide: What You Need to Know as an Iowa City Homeowner
- Spring Storm Preparation for Your Roof
- Tips on Hiring a Roofing Contractor in Iowa City, IA
- How to Deal with Roof Wind Damage in Iowa City, Iowa
- 6 Roofing Tips For New Homeowners
- Best Roof Shingles for Iowa City, IA
- 5 Reasons Your Porch Roof Needs Replacing
- How Heavy Rain In Iowa City, IA Damages Your Roof
- How To Choose The Right Roof Color
- Steps to Detect and Patch a Roof Leak
- 8 Tips to Maintain Your Roof
- A Glossary of Roofing Terminology and Definitions
- Residential Roofing Iowa City, Iowa
8 Tips to Maintain Your Roof
Any homeowner knows that keeping your roof in good condition is one of the best things you can do to protect your house. But knowing exactly how to go about your home's maintenance isn't always clear.
To help, we'll break down our top 8 tips to help you with your Iowa City roof repair and maintenance.
1. Look Out for Broken or Curling Shingles
A reputable Iowa City roofing company uses shingles to gauge the state of the roof. If your shingles are curling, missing, cracking, or peeling, they're no good when it comes to protecting your home. If you're unsure of the state of your shingles or want a roof inspection, give an Iowa City roofing contractor a call.
2. Look For Leaks
Leaks in your ceiling or attic are a sure sign that you need the assistance of an Iowa City roof repair company. Leaks can lead to dampness, a weakening of your walls, and unhealthy mold. The last thing you want is compromising the health of your family due to growing mold.
3. Trim Overhanging Branches
In Iowa City roofing, make sure that the area around your roof is cleared and that there are no overhanging branches. This means less weight will be placed onto the roof, but it also reduces the likelihood of danger after a severe storm or heavy winds. Keep in mind that sometimes it's your neighbor that's responsible for overhanging trees; therefore, they'll need to take action.
4. Remove Snow
Snow can become a maintenance issue because of the weight it places on your roof. So depending on the amount of snow, and the duration of the snowfall, you may need to make efforts to remove it. This job can be tricky and even dangerous, so we recommend calling help from an Iowa City roofing contractor.
5. Keep Your Gutters and Downspouts Clean
So that water can properly flow away from your roof, it's important that your gutters and downspouts remain clean. Because of this, one of the simplest things you can do in Iowa City roofing is maintaining your gutters.
6. Get Rid of Moss and Mold
If your roof is moist for a long time it can develop moss and mold. Over time this seriously damages your roof – they can affect the shingles and damage the overall structure. So if you spot moss and mold, get help from an Iowa City roof repair company.
7. Don’t Forget Your Chimney
As with snow and debris, chimneys can affect your roof if they are badly maintained. Bits of the chimney may break off, damaging the top of your house. So in Iowa City roofing, when it comes to maintenance, don't forget your chimney!
8. Do Regular Inspections
Finally, regular maintenance will help to protect your roof and home. An Iowa City roofing company can give you their professional opinion while safely looking over the different aspects that might need repairs.
So for all your maintenance needs, an Iowa City roofing company can help. Trained technicians can help you with leaks, missing shingles, removing moss and mold, inspections, and any other issue you might have.
If you need some assistance, don't hesitate to get in touch with an Iowa City roofing contractor today.
Learn more about A Glossary of Roofing Terminology and Definitions