- Tips on Saving Money on a New Roof in Iowa City
- Tips for Preventing a Leaky Roof
- Replacing Your Shingle Roof in Iowa City: A Complete Guide
- 5 Things to Know When You Notice a Roof Leak
- Iowa City Roof Repair Guide
- Tips on Navigating a Roof Insurance Claim
- Types of Roofs in Iowa
- Things To Know About Gutters in Iowa City
- Wind Damage: How It Happens and How to Deal with It
- 4 Tips on Hiring a Roofing Contractor in Iowa City
- Four Signs You Need to Replace Your Roof
- Beware of Storm Chasers After Big Storms in Iowa City
- Ice Dam Prevention Guide — What You Need to Know
- Skylight Replacement Guide: What You Need to Know as an Iowa City Homeowner
- Spring Storm Preparation for Your Roof
- Tips on Hiring a Roofing Contractor in Iowa City, IA
- How to Deal with Roof Wind Damage in Iowa City, Iowa
- 6 Roofing Tips For New Homeowners
- Best Roof Shingles for Iowa City, IA
- 5 Reasons Your Porch Roof Needs Replacing
- How Heavy Rain In Iowa City, IA Damages Your Roof
- How To Choose The Right Roof Color
- Steps to Detect and Patch a Roof Leak
- 8 Tips to Maintain Your Roof
- A Glossary of Roofing Terminology and Definitions
- Residential Roofing Iowa City, Iowa
How Heavy Rain In Iowa City, IA Damages Your Roof
On average, Iowa City experiences around 36.9 inches of rainfall every year. So, in a city susceptible to storms, it's inevitable that homes across the region will become damaged over time. Because of this, it's essential to understand how heavy rain can cause roof deterioration and the signs to look out for. As an experienced Iowa City roofing company, we can come to your rescue when the weather strikes.
Roof tiles act as the initial layer of protection from the outside elements and can provide shelter for up to 20 years - sometimes more. However, when heavy rain repeatedly falls on the tiles, they begin to erode and eventually break. This exposes any weakness your roof may already have and causes further deterioration to its structure. This includes rainwater seeping through the roof and into your house, causing a whole host of other problems, including mold, rot, and mildew.
If you notice any of these issues, you must call your Iowa City roofing contractor to prevent your roof from suffering irreparable damage.
Clogged gutters occur when you don't regularly maintain them. Over time, sludge, dirt, leaves, and even birds' nests can set up camp in your water collection channel. When combined with heavy rainfall, they can't collect as much water as they need to. This then makes it easier for the gutters to overflow, leading to water entering your home and causing a variety of damage to ceilings, walls, windows, and woodwork. These issues can lead to severe problems that can eventually cause structural damage to your home.
If heavy rainfall has caused your gutters to overflow, it's essential you seek an Iowa City roof repair service as soon as possible to prevent serious and expensive damages.
Mold and Mildew
Once rain gets inside your home, it's not just the exterior of your property you need to worry about. As previously mentioned, mold and mildew can develop from the dampness and wreak havoc on not only your house but your health, too.
With the ability to grow and spread, a home crawling with mold and mildew will begin to smell. If it is not rectified immediately, it can also cause long-term property damage.
Alongside these structural issues, mold also produces irritants and toxins that can be dangerous to humans. Ingesting these substances can cause infections and exacerbate allergies or asthma.
Once the heavy rainfall has penetrated your broken tiles, it can saturate the joints of your roof and compromise its wooden structure. Repeated exposure to moisture and dampness will then provide the perfect conditions for wood to rot. Be sure to contact your Iowa City roofing contractor immediately if this becomes a problem - catching it early can prevent serious problems later down the line.
Look After Your Roof
Heavy rainfall is out of your control, but the regular maintenance of your roof is not. It's imperative you call upon your roofing company to provide routine check-ups and repairs to ensure the safety and functioning of your structure all year round.