- Tips on Saving Money on a New Roof in Iowa City
- Tips for Preventing a Leaky Roof
- Replacing Your Shingle Roof in Iowa City: A Complete Guide
- 5 Things to Know When You Notice a Roof Leak
- Iowa City Roof Repair Guide
- Tips on Navigating a Roof Insurance Claim
- Types of Roofs in Iowa
- Things To Know About Gutters in Iowa City
- Wind Damage: How It Happens and How to Deal with It
- 4 Tips on Hiring a Roofing Contractor in Iowa City
- Four Signs You Need to Replace Your Roof
- Beware of Storm Chasers After Big Storms in Iowa City
- Ice Dam Prevention Guide — What You Need to Know
- Skylight Replacement Guide: What You Need to Know as an Iowa City Homeowner
Skylight Replacement Guide: What You Need to Know as an Iowa City Homeowner
Skylights are an attractive feature of any home. They allow extra light in and help disperse hot air as it rises. However, as with everything, there comes a time when you need to replace or repair your skylight. These cases call for expert guidance from a qualified Iowa City roofing company. Read on for everything you need to know about replacing these structures.
When To Replace a Skylight
Skylights featured in Iowa City roofing are more exposed to the elements than regular windows. This means that you'll need Iowa City roof repair services to provide a top-quality replacement when your skylight begins to show signs of damage. These signs may include:
Cracked Skylight Glass
Cracked glass is a serious issue in a window that's always exposed to rainfall. A cracked window can occur because of:
- Extreme weather: Strong hailstorms can crack the glass, especially in older windows. Contact your Iowa City roofing company to learn more about skylight glass that is resistant to the elements.
- Temperature changes: Older windows can fall victim to extreme temperature changes or contrasts between heat in your home and cold conditions outside. Cracks and leakages may result.
- Falling debris: If a tree falls on your roof, you'll naturally contact an Iowa City roofing contractor for repairs. You should also ensure that they check your skylight and advise you on whether it needs to be replaced due to the damage.
The framework of a skylight is most often made of metal, and over time, it can become exposed to the weather. If you notice discolored streaks on the glass of your window or unexplained leaks, the metal frame may be corroded. If this is the case, you need to call an Iowa City roofing contractor for maintenance.
Weep Hole Blockage
Weep holes are parts of the window that prevent the buildup of condensation. However, these can become blocked as a result of wet leaves and other debris. If you address the problem promptly with Iowa City roof repair services, it shouldn't cause much damage. However, if left unchecked, you may need to contact an Iowa City roofing company for a costly replacement.
Do You Need to Replace Skylights When You Replace Your Roof?
If you're looking to purchase a new roof for your property, you'll likely want to invest in new windows. There are several reasons for this:
- It means that the work can be done in one go, meaning that your Iowa City roofing contractor can plan the installations together.
- It looks better to have new windows with your new shingles.
- Taking up an old underlayment and installing a new one may compromise the integrity of your old skylights.
- You've researched your Iowa City roofing company thoroughly: they'll provide quality skylight installation as well as their work with shingles or other materials.
Final Thoughts — Replacing Your Skylight
If you've noticed problems with your skylight or are looking to upgrade your home, you should find the best Iowa City roof repair company. These professionals will inspect your property and determine the solutions that make the most sense for your circumstances. You'll have a gorgeous new look for your home in no time with no worries about your structure's durability.