- Tips on Saving Money on a New Roof in Iowa City
- Tips for Preventing a Leaky Roof
- Replacing Your Shingle Roof in Iowa City: A Complete Guide
- 5 Things to Know When You Notice a Roof Leak
- Iowa City Roof Repair Guide
- Tips on Navigating a Roof Insurance Claim
- Types of Roofs in Iowa
- Things To Know About Gutters in Iowa City
- Wind Damage: How It Happens and How to Deal with It
- 4 Tips on Hiring a Roofing Contractor in Iowa City
- Four Signs You Need to Replace Your Roof
- Beware of Storm Chasers After Big Storms in Iowa City
- Ice Dam Prevention Guide — What You Need to Know
- Skylight Replacement Guide: What You Need to Know as an Iowa City Homeowner
- Spring Storm Preparation for Your Roof
- Tips on Hiring a Roofing Contractor in Iowa City, IA
- How to Deal with Roof Wind Damage in Iowa City, Iowa
- 6 Roofing Tips For New Homeowners
- Best Roof Shingles for Iowa City, IA
- 5 Reasons Your Porch Roof Needs Replacing
- How Heavy Rain In Iowa City, IA Damages Your Roof
- How To Choose The Right Roof Color
- Steps to Detect and Patch a Roof Leak
- 8 Tips to Maintain Your Roof
- A Glossary of Roofing Terminology and Definitions
- Residential Roofing Iowa City, Iowa
Types of Roofs in Iowa
If you live in Iowa, you're most likely to see four different types of roofs. While the most popular type by far is an asphalt shingle roof, you'll also find that metal roofing, wood shake roofing, and tile roofing are also popular styles.
Are you looking for an Iowa roofing company to install a new roof for you but aren't sure what type of roof would be best for your Iowa home or business?
We're sharing everything you need to know about the four most common roofs in Iowa below.
1. Asphalt Shingles
Asphalt shingles have a lifetime of around 30-50 years, making them an excellent long-term investment. If you have a pitched roof, that's even more reason to use asphalt shingles. They are the most cost-effective and weather-resistant for this type of home.
Within the category of asphalt shingles, three-tab shingles are the most affordable option. These pieces come in pieces of three tabs each, making installation easier and thus more affordable. However, there are fewer style options to choose from as compared to architectural shingles.
Architectural shingles are the most common and popular option in today's market. Our Iowa City roofing company installs countless architectural shingle roofs each year. These have a similar appearance to “shake” shingles but are thicker and heavier, making them last a bit longer as well. Architectural shingles can add to the value of your home, especially to potential buyers down the road.
2. Metal Roofing
Metal roofing may consist of aluminum, steel, copper, or another material. Metal roofs can last as long as 75 years when installed correctly, making their high up-front cost a worthwhile investment. Metal roofing can still be more affordable than tile roofing, so it's a good option for homeowners wanting a life-long roof. Metal roofing is incredibly durable and can withstand most harsh weather.
3. Wood Shakes
Wood shakes are usually spruce, pine, or cedar pieces cut by a machine to create a smooth finish and easier installation. Wood shake roofs offer about 30 years of life. Expect the color of your shake roof to fade from a dark brown to a soft gray over time. Keep in mind that installation of a wood shake roof can be more costly.
4. Tile Roofing
Tile roofing may include tiles made from clay, concrete, or rubber. If you want a long-lasting roof, this could be a great choice as tile roofs last upwards of 50 years. You can choose your tiles from a wide range of colors and styles to create any aesthetic.
If you need an Iowa City Roofing Company to complete your Iowa roofing job, look no further. Our seasoned professionals live and work in your neighborhoods, giving us the local advantage. We can help you select the best roof for your home or business.
Call our Iowa City roofing company to learn more about our offerings or get a free quote.