- Tips on Saving Money on a New Roof in Iowa City
- Tips for Preventing a Leaky Roof
- Replacing Your Shingle Roof in Iowa City: A Complete Guide
- 5 Things to Know When You Notice a Roof Leak
- Iowa City Roof Repair Guide
- Tips on Navigating a Roof Insurance Claim
- Types of Roofs in Iowa
- Things To Know About Gutters in Iowa City
- Wind Damage: How It Happens and How to Deal with It
- 4 Tips on Hiring a Roofing Contractor in Iowa City
- Four Signs You Need to Replace Your Roof
- Beware of Storm Chasers After Big Storms in Iowa City
- Ice Dam Prevention Guide — What You Need to Know
- Skylight Replacement Guide: What You Need to Know as an Iowa City Homeowner
- Spring Storm Preparation for Your Roof
- Tips on Hiring a Roofing Contractor in Iowa City, IA
- How to Deal with Roof Wind Damage in Iowa City, Iowa
- 6 Roofing Tips For New Homeowners
- Best Roof Shingles for Iowa City, IA
- 5 Reasons Your Porch Roof Needs Replacing
- How Heavy Rain In Iowa City, IA Damages Your Roof
- How To Choose The Right Roof Color
- Steps to Detect and Patch a Roof Leak
- 8 Tips to Maintain Your Roof
- A Glossary of Roofing Terminology and Definitions
- Residential Roofing Iowa City, Iowa
Wind Damage: How It Happens and How to Deal with It
If you have seen The Wizard of Oz or Twister, you know powerful storms can cause major damage. While you might not be swept off to Oz, your home can suffer wind damage from even mild storms.
The cumulative effect of strong winds in Iowa City can cause roofing damage over time. Since it is a build-up, it can be hard to spot the harm. Regular maintenance to your roof and repairs are the best choice to stop minor problems from becoming major issues.
Here, we go over how to spot wind damage and how to deal with it, working with an Iowa City roofing contractor.
What Causes Wind Damage?
Wind can cause damage in various ways. First, major incidents like tornadoes or strong storms can strip away shingles or topple a tree into your roof.
Even without extreme weather, the winds in Iowa City can reach the double digits, especially between October and May, wind speeds average 10-12 miles per hour. That wind speed is enough to tear off shingles.
Gradual wear and tear from constant exposure chips away at the roofing quality
The main types of wind damage include:
• Loose patches resulting from inferior decking or shingles loosened over time — strong gusts can exacerbate this harm, making the roof more vulnerable to extensive damage.
• Damaged edges, especially for shingles around the edge — weak shingles can weaken surrounding ones and cause leaks.
• Lifting from a high wind can ‘suck’ the roof up and loosen nails — over time, this will allow lower gusts to blow between shingles and eventually tear away the roofing.
• Debris lifted by powerful winds — sometimes it is small debris but other times strong winds can uproot trees to collide with your house and cause severe damage.
Without regular repair and maintenance, wind damage will cause significant issues. It could be anything from a pesky leak to a dangerous roof collapse.
All types are dangerous and range in terms of repair costs. The importance of the roof is not something to take lightly. After all, what is a home without a roof over your head to protect against the elements?
With this knowledge of wind damage, what do you do now? First, monitor the state of your roof, especially the vulnerable shingles on the edges. If you notice minor issues and catch them early, you can save yourself from a costly repair later.
We advise calling an Iowa City roofing contractor before major damage occurs. If a major storm causes damage to your roof, chances are you will not be the only one frantically seeking a roofing contractor to help. If you have this established relationship from the start, you will have an easier time addressing the effects of wind damage.
Your contractor also can help you schedule routine inspections and send friendly reminders so that it's one less worry on your plate.
If you need a general inspection, call an Iowa City roofing contractor today! Get peace of mind by calling for regular maintenance and inspection to protect your roof's longevity.
Learn more about 4 Tips on Hiring a Roofing Contractor in Iowa City